Cascade Home » Customer Service » Low-Income Assistance Programs

Big Heart Grant | Financial Hardship Program

cascade natural gas big heart grant

Big Heart Grant fund availability will no longer be available after August 22, 2022.

Customers are eligible for the Big Heart Grant if they are an Oregon customer and earn no more than 300% of the Federal Poverty Level. Individual customers can receive multiple grants up to $2,500 in additional bill assistance. Customers who received energy assistance in the past may automatically receive a grant to forgive account balances due, up to the $2,500 limit. Eligible customers who have not received energy assistance should call our customer service center at
888-522-1130 for more information or to apply.

The Big Heart Grant Program is in addition to all other grants, and does not disqualify customers from receiving further assistance, or assistance from other organizations.

Energy assistance for low-income households


The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) helps low-income households pay part of their energy bills. You can find out if you’re eligible for this program and apply for help at one of the state agencies below. Please note, these guidelines are updated periodically, so be sure to check back regularly.

Income guidelines for LIHEAP

Our LIHEAP brochure will also provide income guidelines, essential energy assistance facts and contact information in your area:

Weatherization Assistance

Cascade Natural Gas is pleased to partner with the Weatherization Assistance Programs in Washington and Oregon. These community action and low income agencies offer free home weatherization and energy efficiency improvements to income-qualified residential dwellings heated with natural gas. Please contact your Energy Assistance Agency for additional information or to apply for weatherization assistance.

Participant qualification, energy reviews, and installation are performed by a community action agency. Potential improvements (following a complete home energy review) include:

  • Insulation in attics, walls, and floors
  • Insulation around duct work and hot water pipes
  • Sealing air leaks in the building, especially around windows and doors
  • Clean, tune, and repair heating and cooling systems and, if necessary, replace existing systems with high-efficiency natural gas furnaces and water heaters

Energy Assistance Funds

Oregon:  If you are a customer in Oregon, funds are collected through a Public Purpose Charge (PPC) each month on your gas bill.  These funds are used for conservation and renewable energy projects, schools, low-income weatherization, low-income housing and low-income utility bill assistance. Oregon customers may apply for available funds through the Energy Assistance Agencies listed below.

Washington:  If you are a customer in Washington, funds are collected through the Schedule 593, Washington Energy Assistance Fund (WEAF) Program Cost Recovery charge to assist qualified low income customers with utility bill assistance. Washington customers may apply for available funds through the Energy Assistance Agencies listed below.

Winter Help

Winter Help is our own program for helping Cascade Natural Gas customers. We’ve helped more than 10,000 families since starting the program in 1989.

When you contribute to Winter Help, we will match each dollar donated up to a total of $50,000. Contributions are tax-deductible and guaranteed to be used in your community.

If you would like to contribute a one-time donation or a monthly pledge amount, please complete the Winter Help form and mail it with gas payment or mail the completed form with your donation to:

Cascade Natural Gas
Winter Help
P.O. Box 7608
Boise, ID 83707-1608

If you are including your donation on your payment stub, please remember to check the box, as noted on your stub, for your donation to be applied correctly. Winter Help is registered under the Charitable Solicitations Act in Washington. Financial disclosure information may be obtained at 360-725-0378.

Energy and Weatherization Assistance Agencies

Community Connections
Call for an appointment
2810 Cedar Street
Baker City, OR 97814-2233

Neighbor Impact
Application available on their website, by phone, or email
No Walk-ins
For an application: 541-504-2155

Klamath Lake Community Action Services (KLCAS)
Application available on their website
2316  South 6th St., Suite C
Klamath Falls, OR 97601

Community in Action

Application available on their website
915 SW 3rd Ave.
Ontario, OR 97914-2124

Community Action Programs of Eastern-Central Oregon
Application available on their website or by mail
721 SE 3rd, Suite D
Pendleton, OR 97801

Coastal Community Action Program
Application available on their website or by phone
101 E Market St.
Aberdeen, WA  98520-0304

Opportunity Council
Application available by phone
1111 Cornwall Avenue
Bellingham, WA  98225

Kitsap Community Resources
Application available by phone
1201 Park Avenue
Bremerton, WA  98337

Snohomish County Human Service Department
Application available by phone or online by clicking here.
3000 Rockefeller Avenue
Everett, WA  98201

Community Action Council of Lewis, Mason & Thurston Counties
Application available on their website or by phone
3020 Willamette Dr NE
Lacey, WA  98516

Community Action Connections (CAC)
Application available on their website
720 W. Court Street
Pasco, WA  99301
Prosser: 509-786-3379

Lower Columbia Community Action Program
Application available on their website
1526 Commerce Avenue
Longview, WA  98632

Moses Lake
OIC of Washington
Application available on their website or by phone
903 3rd Avenue
Moses Lake, WA  98837

Mount Vernon/Burlington
Community Action Agency of Skagit County
Application available on their website or by phone (8:30a, first Wednesday of each month)
160 Cascade Place
Burlington, WA 98233

Oak Harbor
Opportunity Council of Oak Harbor
Application available by phone
1791 NE 1st Avenue
Oak Harbor, WA  98277

NW Community Action Center
Application available by phone
PO Box 831
706 Rentschler Lane
Toppenish, WA  98948

Walla Walla
Blue Mountain Action Council
Application available on their website or by phone
8 E Cherry Street
Walla Walla, WA  99362

Chelan-Douglas Community Action Council
Application available by phone
620 Lewis Street
Wenatchee, WA  98801

OIC of Washington
Application available on their website or by phone
815 Fruitvale Boulevard
Yakima, WA  98902